Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Propaganda

Dear Family,

I am worried for I am already regretting my decision to enter the war. I am beginning to think that the government may have made it out to be something that it is not. In fact, the war is no where near as exciting or adventurous as they would have us believe, but instead, gloomy and depressing. Remember all those posters, pamphlets, and radio advertisements we used to see around town? Do you remember the ones with the soldiers and the slogans that made us want to join the war and buy victory bonds? They were suppose to make us feel patriotic and nationalistic so we'd donate soldiers and money to the war. Well, apparently they may have exaggerated a bit. The government uses these tactics to gain support, money, and soldiers for the war, and I suppose that since I'm here, it must have been effective.

A friend of mine has informed me that the government uses our emotions to manipulate us. They make us feel like we should support the war, when logically, it makes no sense at all. Not only do the pictures, such as those of our fellow soldiers in need or those of poor families being attacked by the Germans, make us feel like fighting, but even the colours that they use can subconsciously make us feel more powerful emotions. The posters gave us a sense of pride and compassion for our fellow soldiers, when in reality, we're just risking our lives.

Remember that poster that said 'Remember Belgium'? That was suppose to make us feel sympathetic for the poor wife and child. I just couldn't stand to stay back while those German soldiers took no mercy on that poor Belgian family. I suppose it worked, or else I would be home with you. (right).

Or Remember that other poster with that tough soldier that wanted us to buy Victory Bonds? Not only did it inspire us to purchase bonds, but also to become a soldier and fight that like courageous one in the picture did for our country. I suppose now I realize that no one is actually ever powerful as they made that single soldier look. (left)

Hopefully I will be able to write again soon,
Sincerely,

John

Lend the Way They Fight, Buy Bonds to Your Utmost'. 20th century. Bridgeman Art
     Library. Encyclopaedia Britannica Image Quest. Web. 4 Dec. 2010.

WWI / Propaganda / Remember Belgium. 1915. Private Collection, Paris. 
     Encyclopaedia Britannica Image Quest. Web. 4 Dec. 2010.

"Propaganda and World War 1." History Learning Site. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Dec.
     2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment