Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Survivors

Dear Fred,

How are you? I heard you have been doing alright since the war ended and I last saw you. I'm very sorry to hear about your cousin. I'm actually quite surprised that he lasted that long with a bullet wound in his head, but nevertheless, I'm still very sorry for your loss.

I have a question for you though. Are you still haunted by the memories of our dead companions? Because I am. Everyday and every night, it's all I can seem to think about. I'm not sure what's wrong with me, but I am having a very hard getting over it. In the middle of the night, I am awoken by the sound of gunfire, but once I come to my sense, I realize that it is just my imagination. I sincerely hope that I am not the only one feeling this type of grief, but I am not sure how much longer I can stand it.

Shell-shock, my wife calls it. After doing some research I have come to that conclusion. In fact, sometimes I even have trouble doing the basic chores around the house. I am petrified that I will spend my whole life like this, but I'm not sure of another option. It seems like even though I survived the war, part of me died on the inside.

Hope you feel alright,
Sincerely,

John

This is the ship I was returning home on. It was incredibly crowded, but it didn't feel that bad compared to the trenches. I was just so ecstatic to be finally returning home.
This is just one of the many explosions that still plays over and over in my mind today. I will be forever scarred from it.

Ship of Soldiers Returning Home from World War I. 1919. Bettman. Corbis Images

     Web. 7 Dec. 2010.


Explosion of the mine at Beaumont Hamel during the Battle of the Somme. 1917. 
     Thomas Nelson & Sons, London. Photos of the Great War. Web. 7 Dec. 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment